Peg Hollywood



Peg Entwistle (5 February 1908 – body found 18 September 1932) was an English stage and screen actress who gained notoriety after her suicide at the age of 24 off the Hollywood Sign.
On Sept. 18, 1932, a hiker discovered the body of Peg Entwistle, two days after the despondent actress jumped from the “H” in the Hollywood sign

In an anonymous phone call to the police, she described, “I was hiking near the Hollywoodland sign today and near the bottom I found a woman's shoe and jacket. A little further on I noticed a purse. In it was a suicide note. I looked down the mountain and saw a body.”

When police arrived at the scene of the death, they deduced that the young woman jumped from a 50-foot-tall “H,” the first letter in the “Hollywoodland” sign that dominated the landscape over the famous movie-making town. An electrician’s ladder had been left propped against the letter, leaving easy access for any passers-by.

Unable to identify the deceased, the Los Angeles police published her suicide note in the newspaper the next day. It read, “I’m afraid I’m a coward. I’m sorry for everything. If I had done this a long time ago, it would have saved a lot of pain. P.E.”

Tabloids jumped on the story, and eventually people began referring to her as the “Hollywood Sign Girl,” a nickname still used today

Comments